Monday, November 3, 2008

Where I'm From

Where I’m From

I am from the fireplace,
From Kindle Magic and fire

I am from the thumb-tacks found all over my home
(Sharp, colorful, hanging to-do lists as a constant reminder of our busy lives)

I am from the summer dandelions,
The sunflowers whose seeds we ate
Long after the flower had gone

I’m from mad, sad, and glad extroverts,
From Greg “Dobie” Moser and Paul Farmer.

I’m from the outspoken ones
And the rebellious advocates for change,

From use words and listen up.

I’m from Holy Days of Obligation
And the Prayer of St. Anthony when something goes missing.

I’m from a run down area in Columbus and idealistic suburbia,
From home-made mashed potatoes and my dad’s favorite Oreo milkshake.

From the jets in the waterslide that broke my brother’s finger
And the Christmas miracle that is my baby sister

Filling the cabinets of the walk in closet bedroom of my sister,
Images of seven children as they grow from their ideals to meet the real world

I am from the stories behind these portraits
Carefully crafted with family experiences that taught me with each small moment
Enough wisdom, love, and laughter to last a lifetime.

1 comment:

Emily said...

The thumbtacks!!!
And Oreo milkshakes!
You know where you can get that?
STEAK N SHAKE!!!
WOOO!!!

PS-atery