Wednesday, November 5, 2008

General Info: "Quote Unquote"

General Info: Quotes

One of the most useful skills to have in life is an ability to use words to describe emotions, ideals, and experiences. At times our own vocabularies seem to fall short, and then it can be even more effective to listen to the words of those before us. When I was eleven years old my big sister gave me a quote book. Ever since I have been filling it with words of wisdom that I felt were noteworthy. Here are some of my favorites.

"Cry when you cry; run when you run; love when you love. Represent the ashes that you leave behind."
-Matchbox 20

"The system gives you just enough to make you think that you see change. They will sing you right to sleep, and then they'll screw you just the same."
-Ani Difranco

"Even Kings can't rule the sky."
-Dr. Suess (Bartholomew and the Ooblek)

"Love has brought a great many people to safety when competence was exhasuted."
-Garrison Keillor

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
-Dr. Suess (The Lorax)


“I have to remind myself that some birds aren’t meant to be caged—their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice, but still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty now that they’re gone. I guess I just miss my friend.”

-Shawshank Redemption


“I’ve been watching you for hours; its been years since we were born. We were perfect when we started, I’ve been wondering where we’ve gone.”

-Adam Duritz, Counting Crows


“Pretending to be someone you’re not is a waste of the person you are.”

-Kurt Cobain


“Why can’t we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn’t work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves and then we have to say good-bye. I hate good-byes. I know what I need. I need more hellos.”

-Snoopy


“There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope they are organized along the lines of the Mafia.”

-Kurt Vonnegut, Sirens of Titan


“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: it is only with the heart that you can see fully; what is essential is, in fact, invisible to the eye.”

-The Little Prince


“How does it feel? / to be on your own/ with no direction home/ like a rolling stone”

-Bob Dylan


“No one ever plans to sleep out in the gutter. Sometimes that’s just the most comfortable place.”

-Bright Eyes


“Was I ever crazy? Maybe. Or Maybe life is. Crazy isn’t being broken or swallowing a dark secret. It’s you or me amplified.”

-Susanna (girl, interrupted)


“The most important things are hard to say because words diminish them.”

-Steven King



“I sing sometimes like my life is at stake

Because you’re only as loud as the noises you make

I’m learning to laugh as hard as I can listen

‘cause silence is violence in women and poor people.

If more people were screaming then I could relax,

But a good brain ain’t diddley if you don’t have the facts.

We live in a breakable, takeable world

An ever available possible world

And we can make music

Like we can make do

Genius is in a backbeat, backseat to nothing

If you’re dancing

Especially something something stupid like IQ

For every lie I unlearn, I learn something new.

And I sing sometimes for the war that I fight

‘cause every took is a weapon—

If you hold it right.”

-Ani Difranco



“That’s life. If nothing else, its life, and sometimes it fucking hurts; but it’s sort of all we have.”

-Garden State


“I can’t believe that we would lie in our graves, dreaming of something we might have been.”

-DMB


“You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.”

-Bob Dylan


“I’d rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. Sinners are much more fun.”

-Billy Joel



“Everyone needs a hero,

An image to create

An anti-thesis to everything inside us that we hate.

But you better close your eyes when it’s time for them to die

‘Cause you’d hate to think the life you built upon them was a lie.”

-Indigo Girls



“So which side wins?

Love wins. Love always wins.”

-Mitch Albom (Tuesdays with Morrie)


“I do not have diplomatic immunity…”

-Bart Simpson


“When you come to the edge of all the light you have, and must take a step into the darkness of the unknown, believe that one of two things will happen to you… either there will be something solid for you to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly.”

-Patrick Overton

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hmm I wonder where you got these.
I have some of the same ones haha.
Or...maybe just one.
Whatever.
Very inspirational.
But it would have been better if you had quoted "Runaway Bunny" or "Alice in Wonderland" haha
Maybe even "Nightmare in My Closet"

PS-sublyt

Emily said...

HAHA
This one's even better: morki
Just say that a few times out loud.

MORKI

MORKI

MORKI